Reframing is a way of looking at events or circumstances and seeing the positive aspects to them. Reframing often involves tearing down old preconceptions to discover new ways of looking at things — “thinking outside the box” comes from reframing.
In construction, during a remodeling project, the reframing like you see in this picture below, can open up whole new areas of a house that were previously hidden behind old walls. And, when those old walls are torn down, sometimes treasures of immurement are revealed. Immurement is the ancient practice of burying or concealing items in the structure of a house. When remodeling an old home, you might find old letters, keepsakes, or even cash.
As I shared in my previous post, “A Good Day’s Work“, I had to reframe working for my friend on an assembly line to draw out the positive aspects to the job. I have spent the last 40 years of my career in IT and made a very good living at it, but recently have hit a wall in trying to find my next job. I’m not sure why. Perhaps I’m overqualified. Perhaps it’s Ageism. Perhaps, at my level and age it takes longer to find my next job.
But, even as I’ve been trying to build my own business here at Upskill Create, I still need to make an income, because my savings won’t last forever. So, I decided to help my friend out and at the same time earn some extra money. Working on assembly line for just 6 days has helped me discover some hidden immurements both physically and mentally! I have lost 11 pounds and listened to 3 audio books (password = freeaudio123). Even long audio books that are over 10 hours long, I can finish listening to in as little as 3 days while on the job. If I keep this pace up and with 22 work days in the average month, I should be able to listen to 7 audio books every month, or 84 audio books in a year!
These two benefits to my health and knowledge are worth it, but I have discovered more to the job:
- I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know my co-workers and hope to help them improve themselves through education and generating multiple streams of income.
- I also feel more productive in my online endeavors as I now have limited time to access my blog and other social platforms I contribute to.
- And, I am really enjoying the value of rest and relaxation. Without the rest, I’m sure my body would break down and not be able to keep up.
So how can you reframe your current situation?
Use these questions to help prompt you:
- What do you appreciate about your current situation?
- What’s the worst that can happen?
- How can your current situation cause positive things to happen later in your life?
If I were to answer these questions, they would be as follows:
- What do you appreciate about your current situation? I get paid to listen to audio books and to exercise. I can use the source material from the audio books to help me on my blog posts, creating courses and other content.
- What’s the worst that can happen? I could get injured and be unable to work. Even if this happens, I’d most likely still be able to return to my desk and work on my computer.
- How can your current situation cause positive things to happen later in your life? By improving both my body and mind, I will become a better man to serve in my next endeavor — whether that is in my own business or working for someone else.
Book Recommendation: “The Obstacle is the Way: The Timeless Art of turning Trials into Triumph” by Ryan Holiday. Or, if you don’t have time for the book, here’s a good book summary on Youtube:
Join our community of Continuous Learners who want to make time for learning and encourage others to reach their goals.
Upskill Create is all about creating a lifestyle of continuous learning and then applying what you have learned to secure your future and create a life you love.
We offer an engaging private community of fellow “Upskillers” to provide an environment where we can learn, collaborate and encourage each other in this journey. You can request an invitation to join this FREE community at the bottom of this post.
I hope you will join me,