I was encouraged to share my top blog posts for 2018 so I decided to write a post about it here on Upskill Create.
You’ll notice that 4 out of the 12 posts are related to Badges. In fact, the blog post on Free Courses specifically relates to Free Courses to Earn Badges, so 5 out of 12 are related to Badges.
Why a list of 12 and not 10? Why not have the “Top 10” list? There are 12 months in a year. There are 12 eggs in a dozen. Some people even have 12 fingers and 12 toes (it’s a real thing – Polydactyly). Plus, the 5th and 6th posts in each category were close in the number of views, so just like a parent loves all of their children, I had a hard time leaving the 6th out!
6 Top Blog Posts from Linkedin
- Badges: Got to Get Them All! – This was my very first article posted on Linkedin. It has over 7,000 views, so I thought, “Wow! This is a great start!”. All of the rest of my posts on Linkedin and on my blog have less than 1,000 views each, so this one was an anomaly. I think what made this post so popular is it had some great deep links to courses where you could earn badges when completed. Also, check out the “Badges Wall of Fame” in the post. Oliver Bodemer is at the top of the list with more than 250 Badges earned, which leads me to the next post.
- Meet Oliver: The King of the World in Badges – Oliver Bodemer has earned 256 badges as of 7-Jan-2019. You can see his list of badges on Acclaim. I did a video interview with Oliver and he said his “secret” was just doing 1 hour per day devoted to taking courses. That’s it!
- Badges 2.0 – This was my wish list for what the future of Badges would look like. If you’ve earned digital badges, how do you wish the whole badging process would improve?
- Meet Luis: Enterprise Social Networks for Meaningful Work – Luis Suarez is a colleague I met while working at IBM. He was an active social user of IBM Connections and now works for panagenda; panagenda’s mission is to help transform companies with social adoption. I hope you enjoy this 440-minute video interview. If you want to see a shorter version, I created a 5 minute and 10 minute video as well.
- Are you a Good Listener? Try Listening with a Beginner’s Mind – I liked this post which talks about the Buddhist term “Shoshin” which means listening as a beginner would listen with openness, eagerness and lack of preconceptions. I also share a story about an award I received for “Best Listener” when I was in high school.
- How to Write a Blog Post People Actually Read -In this article, I share my top 5 tips for engaging your audience. I’ve written over 700 blog posts since 2012, internally for IBM and externally on Linkedin and my own website so I have learned a fair bit, but I am also constantly learning based on the feedback I get from readers.
6 Top Blog Posts from Upskill Create
- Badges – are you Ready for What’s Next? – This is a re-worked version of my first article I wrote on Linkedin. The main reason I did this was to see if this post could be discovered on the first page of a Google Search. Mission Accomplished!
- 5 Ways to Make Time for Learning – This post includes practical tips to make time for learning. My number one tip? Watch 30% Less TV per week. This is equal to 7 hours per week or 1 hour per day. In fact, if you want to still “watch” something, just watch Youtube videos on topics that you’d like to learn about to ease the transition into watching video-based courses.
- How to Get a Data Science Job -I share 5 tips to getting skilled up in Data Science and applying for freelance jobs.
- Free Courses from Universities – This is an amazing resource of over 600 courses available for free from Universities like Stanford, Harvard, MIT, etc. Join our community to get the password for access to this resource.
- Free Courses -This is an amazing resource of 15 different courses that can earn you a badge when completed. This resource is also password protected for community members only but it is free to join. If you’re just getting started, I’d recommend taking the Blockchain Essentials Course which is just 2 hours long and you earn the Blockchain Essentials Badge when completed.
- Top 9 Coursera Courses of 2018 -This is a great list of the most popular Coursera Courses of 2018. I have taken the “Learning How to Learn” course which teaches you how to motivate yourself to learn. In fact, I’m using the Pomedoro Technique for completing this blog post – I’ve got a reward waiting for me once it’s completed!
Did you read these blog posts? Do you have a favorite? What would you like me to write about in 2019? Leave your comments below.
Join a community of like-minded people who want to make time for learning and encourage others to reach their goals.
Upskill Create is all about creating a lifestyle of continuous learning and then applying what you have learned to secure your future and create a life you love.
We offer an engaging private community of fellow “Upskillers” to provide an environment where we can learn, collaborate and encourage each other on this journey. You can request an invitation to join this FREE community at the bottom of this post.
I hope you will join me,